The suitable pillows in a room can make a huge impact on the room’s appearance. Pillows can exist in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and colors. With the right arrangement, it can catch the eye and improve the overall décor of a space. Many manufacturers sell pillows, but you might decide to make yours. In this post, we will see how to make a pillow.
Since there are several types of pillows you can make, we will take you through each of the common types and see how you can create yours.
Read on to find out more.
How to make a standard pillow
Making a standard pillow is relatively easy as long as you have the correct tools and follow instructions. What will you need to make a standard pillow? Here are what you will require:
- Fabric – The fabric that you will need for the standard pillow is dependent on the size of the pillow that you want to make. For example, you wouldn’t need a lot of fabric if you are making a small pillow. If you were making a body pillow, though, you’d likely need more fabric.
- Pillow stuffing material
- Thread to match fabric
- Scissors: Reviewers love the LIVINGO scissors as it offers impressive durability and sharp cutting.
- Pillow inserts
With these tools available, you are ready to begin to make your standard pillow. Here are useful instructions that will help you.
- First, cut out a pair of squares of fabric for the front and rear of the pillow. This is important since the pillow will be made up of two sides. It is recommended that the squares you cut be the same size as the pillow form. Some choose to add seam allowances, but this can cause problems down the line. Therefore, don’t add these allowances. Mark the bottom edges of the pillow with a pin, so you don’t mistake them for another side.
- The next step, which many consider being optional, is to serge all the sides of the front and back pieces of the fabric. This step is essential if the fabric you are using frays easily.
- Next is to sew a basting stitch from the bottom edge to show you the point to fold the fabric when you close the pillow.
- Pin both sides together and, with half-inch of allowance, sew the two fabrics together. Start two inches from the corner on the bottom edge and stop two inches from the last corner on the bottom edge.
- Trim the corners to chop down on the bulk.
- Afterward, remove the pins and turn the pillow right side out.
- Then, insert the pillow form, then fold the fabric using the long basting stitch to guide you before pinning both bottom edges.
How to make a pillowcase with a zipper
After making the pillow, you certainly need to cover it. There are several ways to create a pillowcase, and this section covers how to make a pillowcase with a zipper.
What will you need? Here are the supplies that you will require:
- Fabric – the fabric can come from different sources. However, it is recommended that you use a home décor option because it offers better thickness and will hold the shape better than other fabrics. As you cut your fabric, keep your pillow insert in mind.
- Pillow insert – the insert that you’ll use depends on what the dimensions of the pillows will be. There are different types of inserts, ranging from polyester to down and feather.
- Zipper – Of course, you will need a zipper. When choosing a zipper, you should want one that is around four inches shorter than the bottom edge of the pillow.
- Sewing machine – except you want to sew by hand, it would be better if you use a sewing machine. There are different models on the market to choose from that will still get the job done. One of the best for making pillows is the Brother Sewing Machine. It has six sewing feet as well as other nice features.
- Zipper foot thread
With these supplies available, here is how to make your pillowcase with a zipper.
- Cut the fabric
The first thing is to cut a pair of fabrics for the front and rear of the pillow. Many experts recommend that the fabric come with a half seam allowance as that will fit the pillow’s form. You could also use other tools to cut cleanly. Some have recommended getting a cutting mat and rotary cutter.
After cutting the pair of fabrics, lay it out and decide which part will face out and which will be in. You also need to determine which of the edges will serve as the bottom edge.
- Place and mark the zipper
Since this pillowcase will come with a zipper, lay it along the bottom to determine where the zipper begins and ends. You can mark this position by using pins. This isn’t the time to pin the zipper, merely the time to mark it.
2. Sew the bottom edge
You need to get a straight zipper, so pay attention to this part. Sew the straight stitch from the edge to the pin on both sides.
3. Prepare to add the zipper
To prepare, iron the seam that you have made and place the zipper on it. Pin it face-down and take it to the machine.
4. Sew the zipper
Sew the zipper as you would any other zipper. After sewing, undo the temporary stitch that you made. Then sew the other sides of the pillow cover.
5. Serge edges
Afterward, finish the edges of your new pillowcase. Serge the edges by using a serger. If you don’t have that, you can run the edges through the machine and use it to serge the edges.
How to make a body pillow
Getting the right body pillow can be a challenge, but you certainly can make your own body pillow. To do so, you will require the following:
- Two yards of your best or favorite fabric
- Pillow inserts or filling
- Matching thread
- Fabric for the cover
With these in place, you can get down to making your body pillow.
- Determine the size
The first thing is to know how big you want the body pillow to be. You can make it shorter, longer, or smaller than the standard size and even make king-sized pillows.
- Fold an end in about half an inch down and iron it.
- Then fold the fabric sheet in half along the length. Ensure that the right sides lie together
- The next thing is to sew three sides shut and leave the end you folded in the second step open.
- Turn the shell right sides out, the stuff it will the pillow inserts or filling. Stuff it until it reaches the volume or thickness and firmness that you desire.
- Stitch the ironed end twice to ensure that the pillow lasts.
How to make a throw pillow
You can make Trusted SourceThrow pillow - Wikipedia A throw pillow, or toss pillow, is a small, decorative soft furnishing item made from a wide range of textiles including cotton, linen, silk, leather, microfibre, suede, chenille, and velvet. Throw pillows are a commonly used piece in interior design and come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes and decorative elements such as tassels and piped edges. en.wikipedia.org in short, easy steps.
Here are the steps required:
- Cut the fabric.
You can get the fabric from whatever you want. In cutting it, cut a pair of squares of equal sizes or any other shape that you want.
2. Add some trim to it if you want to add some fun to your pillow.
3. Decide which part is the front and rear, and pin your seams.
To pin the seams, first lay out the fabric on your worktable, then place the trim along the side of the bottom piece. Align the trim, top, and bottom parts of the fabric perfectly. Then pin all around the edges.
4. Sew the edges of the pillow, leaving one end open for adding the pillow inserts
5. After stuffing to your heart’s content, sew the open edge.
How to make a no-sew pillow
Making a no-sew pillow requires that you have:
- Fleece fabric
- Pillow form
Here are the steps to follow:
- Lay out the fabric one on top of the other and measure how much fabric you will need.
- Cut off any fringe on the fabric and other parts that you don’t need until the fabric has fringe all around it.
- Tie the pieces together – tying until three sides are totally tied.
- Stuff the pillow with memory foam or other inserts.
- Tie off the opening and trim the fringe.
How to make a slipcover
When it comes to clothing upholstery, a slipcover seems to be pretty difficult. But not to bother because we have created a step-by-step guide on how to make it.
Here’s what you will need:
- Canvas fabric
- Fabric maker
- Sewing Machine
- Take the measurements
The first thing that you need to do is to take measurements of the sofa or cushion that you plan to cover with the slipcover. Check out the measurements and note the widest spot for where you are working on.
- Cut the fabric
After taking the measurements, cut the fabric according to your measurements. The measurements that you take depend on the type of furniture that you want to clothe.
- Attach the zipper
You will need to make a zipper attached to the fabric. Determine where the zipper would go and pin it in place. Sew the fabric to the zipper with the zipper foot.
So, there you have it – how to make a pillow. Now that you know the easy steps on how to make a pillow, why don’t you go get the supplies and put these steps into practice? We are sure that you will have a grand time. You will have your awesome pillow finished in no time at all.