The queen-size mattress is currently one of the most popular beds, with close to half of all American adults preferring it to other standard sizes available. As such, queen-size bed frames are always in high demand.
If you’d like to purchase one, you’ll likely be surprised at just how easily you could get ripped off in your search for the best queen-size bed frames. That said, you can work around this by knowing a bit about the materials, height, weight limit, extra features, and even the warranty options you’ll encounter in your search. That way, you’ll know what’s high quality and what’s not. Luckily, we do have a lot of knowledge on the subject, given that we’ve tested multiple queen-size bed frames and are therefore in an excellent position to recommend the options below.
Editor’s Choice: Zinus Gerard Platform
Premium Pick: DHP Dakota Upholstered Faux Leather Platform Bed
Best Color Options: Classic Brands Mornington Upholstered Platform Bed
Best Upholstered Queen Size Bed Frame: HomeLife Premiere Classics Platform Bed
Best Vintage Style Metal Queen Size Bed Frame: Victorian Vintage Style Platform Metal Bed Frame
Top 6 Queen Size Bed Frames Review 2023
- Materials: engineered wood, polyurethane, leather
- Height: 17.35”, 46.7” (with headboard)
- Weight limit: 500 lbs.
- Warranty: 5-year limited
Other features: durable wood slats (3.3” apart), easy assembly
Leather upholstery has always looked classy on furniture, and the Zinus Gerard Platform is proof of that. That said, this is faux leather, meaning that no animals were harmed to make the frame. Also, underneath the upholstery is an engineered wood frame that can hold its own against the weight of two sleepers. This is thanks to the durability of the slats and the minimal spacing between them. You can also thank the slats for the fact that you don’t need a box spring to mount your mattress.
This frame is for users who want elegant faux leather upholstery that doesn’t scream for attention in the bedroom.
- First, we feel the Zinus Gerard Platform frame has a timeless look due to the color of leather used. Let’s not forget that black or espresso, as it’s called here, matches well with most other colors; hence it will be a cinch to integrate the frame into your bedroom. Also, you likely won’t have any issues with the assembly since it’s so straightforward. There’s also the convenience of the package fitting into one box. Lastly, there’s the warranty.
- While the espresso finish is great for many users, some would still prefer the option of different colors to match their bedrooms better. Next, the thin padding may be disappointing for those who like to sit up in bed while reading a book or typing something on their computers. Additionally, the frame tends to creak after some use, so you’ll need to retighten the screws occasionally or add some reinforcement to eliminate the problem.
- Materials: wood, faux leather, metal
- Height: 38” (with headboard)
- Weight limit: 500 lbs. (bed), 40 lbs. (drawers)
- Warranty: 1-year limited
Other features: 4 built-in plastic drawers, metal side rails, easy handling
If you’re looking for a queen-size bed frame with drawers, not many can match the quality of the DHP Dakota Upholstered Faux Leather Platform Bed. There are four plastic drawers with wheels that make it easier to slide them open or shut. Also, the frame features tufted faux leather upholstery on the headboard, side rails, and footboard.
The DHP Dakota Upholstered Faux Leather Platform Bed differentiates itself by offering both an elegant design and extra storage space in the form of four drawers.
- Like the Zinus Gerard Platform frame, the faux leather upholstery of this option screams class and elegance. That said, you get a few more colors to pick from in addition to the black option displayed in the image. Notably, the elegance is also enhanced by the tufting on both the footboard and headboard. The four plastic drawers are another nice touch, especially if you have limited storage space, and they even come with wheels to make them easier to open and close.
- The drawers are nice, but they would be better if they were made from more durable materials to ensure longevity. We also realized that these drawers make the frame harder to move, especially if you’ve already filled them with clothes or beddings. Another flimsy component of this queen-size frame’s construction is the slats. They have some reinforcement in the middle of the bed, but that isn’t enough to keep them from breaking.
- Materials: pine wood, fabric upholstery
- Height: 40” (with headboard)
- Weight limit: 700 lbs.
- Warranty: 3-year limited
Other features: 8-inch legs, button-tufted headboard
The Classic Brands Mornington Upholstered platform queen-size bed frame with a headboard is another option that looks good in your bedroom while serving you well. Its pine wood construction makes the 700 lbs weight capacity easy to manage. This option features fabric upholstery rather than the faux leather alternative available in the first two picks on the list. Lastly, everything arrives neatly packaged in the back of the headboard.
If you’re looking for a good-looking queen-size bed frame with a linen-upholstered headboard, the Classic Brands Mornington is for you.
- Notably, you can get this frame in five different colors, depending on your preferences. Next, the pinewood construction is quite durable and seems to handle the weight of two sleepers quite well. Speaking of the weight, the 700 lbs limit is quite impressive and even beats some king-size frames. It also seems like most people will find putting the frame together a cakewalk. Lastly, buyers of this queen-size frame get a three-year warranty.
- While soft fabric upholstery provides a great alternative to faux leather picks, cleaning it would prove a hassle in the event of spills or dirt since you can’t wipe them off. Next, the smell of the fabrics can be pretty annoying when the frame is still new. Also, we noticed the patterns in some of the color options aren’t as clean. This might even explain why you can get these color options for cheaper.
- Materials: wood, polyester linen
- Height: 51” (with headboard)
- Weight limit:
- Warranty: 5-year limited
Other features: silver button accents, no box spring required
With the HomeLife Premiere Classics Platform Bed, you get a 51” bed frame inclusive of the height of the headboard. Speaking of the headboard, it’s elegantly designed with polyester linen fabric and silver button accents. Underneath the upholstery, the frame’s primary construction material is wood, and there is even the inclusion of wooden slats, so you don’t need a box spring. Lastly, a five-year manufacturer warranty comes standard with the purchase.
The HomeLife Premiere Classics Platform is an excellent pick if you want an elegant headboard design with your queen size bed frame.
- We noticed the quality of materials used to make the frame, including the wood and polyester linen upholstery, is top-notch. This is probably why the manufacturer is comfortable with providing a five-year warranty with the purchase. Also, the platform is designed not to need a box spring, so you’ll be able to save some money on that front. Lastly, the detailing on the top of the headboard and in the tufting design is exquisite.
- If it’s your first time trying to assemble a frame, you’ll likely struggle with the HomeLife Premiere Classics Platform Bed. The instructions can be pretty confusing, meaning you’ll need to figure out how to put together the components on your own. Also, the metal legs in the middle of the frame aren’t the most reliable. As such, you may need to add some modifications to ensure they stay in place as you use your bed.
- Materials: alloy steel, metal
- Height: 12” (clearance), 23” (footboard), 43.5” (headboard)
- Weight limit: 660 lbs.
- Warranty: 1-year
Other features: double-row support system, sufficient under bed storage space
The Victorian Platform Metal Bed Frame is described as a vintage style option with all-metal construction. As such, its durability and longevity is all but guaranteed. The design is simple, with multiple metal tubes even in the headboard. Also, the platform is designed to provide enough support for the mattress and all the sleepers. That’s why there’s a double-row support system. Lastly, given that there’s 12” of clearance between the platform and the floor and nothing to occupy this space, you can use it for storage.
If you want an all-metal design, the Victorian Vintage Style Platform Metal Bed Frame is for you.
- The metal tubes in this frame feel sturdy and reliable enough to last a long time. This is further enhanced by the double-row support, which means extra stability for both you and your mattress. Next, you get either a black sanded or charcoal finish, both of which protect the metal from rust. There’s also the inclusion of gaskets in the legs that keep the bed frame from scratching your floors during use.
- While the frame is both durable and reliable, we feel it doesn’t offer much aesthetically and may not look good in various bedroom setups. That said, it should work for anyone who values function over form. Next, even with such a simple design, the instructions are still somewhat confusing, making the assembly process unnecessarily complex. Also, there aren’t any mechanisms to prevent squeaking or creaking, so the frame can be fairly noisy.
- Materials: alloy steel
- Height: 13” (clearance), 14” (total)
- Weight limit: 750 lbs.
- Warranty: 5-year limited
Other features: foldable, quick assembly, steel support braces, anti-slip treads
The Linenspa 14 Inch Folding Metal queen-size platform bed frame should be your go-to pick if you don’t want a headboard with your purchase. That said, you can add a headboard design of your choice to the back of the bed at any time. It’s made purely of alloy steel with 13” clearance from the floor and a simple design. There are multiple steel support braces which makes it possible for the frame to support up to 750 lbs. There are also anti-slip treads to keep the frame stationary.
The Linenspa 14 Inch Folding Metal Platform Bed Frame is for users who want creative freedom over the design of their headboards.
- First, there’s lots of storage space underneath the platform, although you may need to buy boxes for organizational purposes. Also, the frame is foldable, which makes packing it up when you need to a cakewalk. We also noticed the anti-slip treads are pretty reliable in terms of keeping the bed frame stationary. Lastly, it can handle any weight under 750 lbs effortlessly with its steel construction and even features a five-year guarantee.
- There’s nothing on the edges of the platform or the slats to keep your mattress stationary. As such, you might experience some mattress movement unless you decide to get some after-market solutions for the same. Next, the frame can be fairly noisy during use. Also, you’ll need to use a thicker mattress, or you could opt to add a box spring to make the frame more comfortable to sleep on.
How to Pick the Best Bed Frame
Picking the best queen-size bed frame is just a matter of knowing how to differentiate between high-quality and low-quality products. You should also choose a frame that caters to as many of your needs as possible by looking at the attributes discussed below.
Type and Style
First, you look at the frame types and styles available. There are multiple options, including platform beds like the Linenspa 14 Inch Folding Metal Platform Bed Frame, headboard beds, storage beds, upholstered beds, sleigh beds, and more. Notably, the type and style of frame is a huge determinant of how the bed as a whole will look in your bedroom.
For instance, if you’d like a bed that more or less matches the curtains in your bedroom, upholstered frames like the Classic Brands Mornington Upholstered Platform Bed would be your best pick. They have fabric or leather covers, and you are therefore more likely to find a matching color.
Rustic bedroom themes go better with un-upholstered frames. Let’s not forget platforms with no headboard allow you more control over what to put behind the bed.
Materials and Durability
Also, the durability of the components and materials used to make the frame matter a lot. Remember, you want a frame that can hold your weight and maybe that of your partner. As such, flimsy construction is not going to cut it. Also, some materials deteriorate faster than others.
Consequently, you should always look at the strengths and weaknesses of all the materials used in the bed’s construction. For instance, with the DHP Dakota Upholstered Faux Leather Platform Bed, the plastic construction of the drawers may not last long.
Even when the materials show that the bed frame is durable, you need to take note of the weight limit. This tells you how many people can sleep on the bed without breaking it. Of course, you should account for the weight of the mattress as well.
Most queen-size mattresses weigh about 80 lbs. According to Trusted SourceAmericans' Average Weight Holds Steady in 2020 Despite major disruptions to Americans’ lives and routines during the pandemic, U.S. adults’ self-reported body weight is unchanged over the past year. news.gallup.com , the average weight for American adults in 2020 is 181 lbs. As such, a frame like the DHP Dakota Upholstered Faux Leather Platform Bed can easily handle two average-weight adults, a mattress, and possibly a box spring as well with its 500 lbs weight limit.
Frames like the Linenspa 14 Inch Folding Metal Platform Bed Frame give you more leeway concerning what you can put on the bed as they have a significantly higher weight limit.
Notably, the height doesn’t just mean the clearance between the floor and the platform. It also has to include the top of the headboard and bedposts, if there are any. Most bedrooms can comfortably handle both headboards and bedposts. In fact, according to Trusted SourceStandard Ceiling Height | Ceiling Height | Average Ceiling Height The standard ceiling height for a home is about 2.75 m or 9 feet 6 inches and for Sunken slab of bath and W/C is about 7 feet 6 inches minimum. civiconcepts.com , the minimum bedroom ceiling height should be 7 feet 6 inches which is a lot higher than most beds will be.
That said, these bedposts and headboards we mentioned above may interfere with things like art, floating shelves, lights, and other decorative elements. As such, you need to account for these things before your purchase.
With regard to the clearance between the floor and platform, you need to ensure that getting on the bed is easy. You can’t have a high platform, a thick box spring, and a thick mattress and expect getting in bed to be a cakewalk.
Also, remember that the space beneath your bed can be used for storage if necessary. However, if there isn’t enough clearance, the things you can store there will be limited.
Ease of Assembly
Ideally, you should get a queen size frame that’s easy to put together. Notably, some of the frames in the market will require the services of a handyman for the assembly. Of course, if you have the money for it or the frame has some extra features you want, you can make the compromise.
Always check the price before deciding on the bed frame you want. After all, some of these frames are pretty expensive and may leave your wallet hurting. If possible, you should even have a budget before you look at the options in the market. That way, you know to eliminate the frames you can’t afford early.
Sometimes these queen-size bed frames come with extra features. A prime example is the DHP Dakota Upholstered Faux Leather Platform Bed with drawers and wheels. Other examples include anti-slip treads and unique details. If there’s room for these extra features in your budget, you should also get them as they provide additional value and may prove beneficial during use.
What Are the Dimensions of Queen Size Bed Frame?
How Much Bigger Should a Bed Frame Be Than the Mattress?
Ultimately we like the Zinus Gerard Platform, DHP Dakota Upholstered Faux Leather Platform Bed, and Classic Brands Mornington Upholstered Platform Bed the most. The Zinus Gerard, as we mentioned above, is a classy, well-designed bed, especially with the leather upholstery. The durable slats and warranty are some extra highlights.
The DHP Dakota Upholstered Faux Leather Platform Bed is hard not to love. It ticks both the form and functionality boxes with its tufted leather upholstery and the inclusion of drawers in the design.
As for the Classic Brands Mornington Upholstered Platform Bed, you get to choose your upholstery color options. The aesthetics are also great, and the frame is dependable with a 700 lbs weight capacity. The other three options listed are also some of the best queen-size bed frames available. With that, we can now leave you to choose which bed frame to have delivered to your door.