Purchasing any mattress can be a hit-or-miss process. If your mattress has lost its bounce, its firmness, or its initial level of comfort, a great way to remedy this is to buy a latex mattress topper. There are various kinds of these toppers, and each one appeals to a different kind of person depending on how they sleep.
One of the main reasons people choose latex mattress toppers over other types is because of the buoyancy of the topper, its ability to control temperature, and the fact that it’s one of the more durable mattress toppers for heavier sleepers. Another reason is due to the fact that latex can be sustainably harvested, which is planet-friendly. So, do you sleep on your side, back or stomach? Or are you the type of person who takes a long time to fall asleep? Do you perhaps find yourself getting extremely hot while sleeping? Or are you looking for the best latex mattress topper for back pain?
Editor’s Choice: EcoTerra 100% Natural Latex Topper
Premium Pick: Amore Beds Natural Organic Latex Topper
Best Value: Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper
Best Vegan Topper: Nestled Organic 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper
Best Ventilated-Design Topper: NESAILA Latex Mattress Topper
Most Versatile: LUCID Dunlop Latex Mattress Topper
Best Soft Topper: ViscoSoft Pillow Top Latex Mattress Topper
Top 7 Latex Mattress Toppers Review 2021
- Available sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, Cal King
- Density: soft, medium, medium-firm
- Material: 100% natural latex
- Height: 2 or 3 inches
- Warranty: 5 years
More features: no synthetics, no fillers or chemicals, Oeko-Tex Standard 100 certified
Made from 100% natural Sri Lankan rubber, the EcoTerra 100% Natural Latex Topper is one of the best latex mattress toppers we found—if not the very best. It’s the perfect mattress topper for those who struggle with their back, hips, or knees because of its excellent weight distribution properties. It comes with a 5-year warranty that you’ll probably never claim on because of the superior resilience of this natural latex mattress topper. The EcoTerra 100% Natural Latex Topper is super soft without compromising on its firmness, making it our favorite latex mattress topper to date.
This mattress topper is ideal for adults who experience joint pain in the lower half of their bodies as well as in their backs. Because the EcoTerra comes in 3 different densities, you can choose between soft, medium, or medium firm. The firmer varieties will distribute weight more evenly, helping with back, hip, and knee pain during sleep.
- It's especially wonderful to see a mattress topper that manages to manufacture its entire product in the US from single-source latex. We were particularly keen on this mattress topper because it contained 0% synthetic materials and was completely void of chemicals and fillers.
- Some people may find the EcoTerra 100% Natural Latex Topper too soft, even if they choose the firmer variety. A 4th tier firmness may be a good idea for this mattress topper.
- Sizes available: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, Cal King
- Material: 100% natural organic latex, GOTS certified organic wool
- Density: firm or plush
- Maintenance: spot cleaning only
- Warranty: 10 years
More features: temperature regulating, body contouring, breathable, handmade in Chicago factory
The only two materials you’ll find in the Amore Beds Natural Organic Latex Topper are 100% organic latex and GOTS certified organic cotton. The cotton is quilted to the corners of this topper for a reinforced structure for both the firm and the softer varieties. It’s a versatile mattress for all shapes and sizes due to its ability to contour according to your body. With superior airflow and breathability, you can rely on this topper to keep you warm in winter and cool in summer. High quality is guaranteed with a 10-year warranty.
Because of the airflow properties of this mattress topper, it’s the best natural latex mattress topper for those who suffer from allergies while they sleep.
- The reinforced quilted cotton on the corners of this topper lends to its lifespan, which explains its long warranty period. It's also easy to maintain with spot cleaning.
- This mattress topper only comes in two varieties of firmness, and both are quite firm. A softer variation may appeal to some, but choices are limited to firm or plush.
- Available sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, Cal King
- Density: soft
- Material: natural latex
- Height: 1, 2 or 3 inches
- Warranty: 5 years
More features: supportive, Oeko-Tex Standard 100, Greenguard Gold and eco institute Certified, pure formulation, breathable, durable
At a firmness rating of 20 ILD, the Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper is one of the most balanced toppers we’ve featured here. It’s produced from organic rubber trees and boasts the ever-coveted Global Organic Latex Standard certification. Not only is it made with 100% organic materials that don’t contain fillers, but it’s also a breathable topper that’s firm and soft. Although it’s on the slightly softer side compared to others, it is the best latex mattress topper for side sleepers who want to avoid that sinking feeling when lying on their beds. And because of its airflow design, it’s also good for people with allergies.
This is a latex mattress topper for side sleepers as well as for those who struggle with dust or mold allergies. The Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper mitigates both these problems.
- One of the nicest features of this topper is the fact that it is designed to be soft but still transforms a sagging mattress into a much more comfortable surface.
- There is only one density variation on this mattress topper, so it only appeals to a very specific market. However, that market is a large one, as most people prefer to sleep on their sides.
- Available sizes: Queen
- Density: soft, medium, or firm
- Material: 100% natural latex, organic cotton cover
- Height: 2 inches
- Warranty: 5 years
More features: vegan, contains no formaldehyde, washable cover, GOLS certified
At 2 inches high, the Nestled Organic 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper is 100% organic and even comes with a washable cover that’s also organic. With a 5-year warranty, this topper is manufactured using the Dunlop Process, which makes it the best natural latex mattress topper for those who prefer a medium-firm surface on their mattresses. It’s 100% vegan, too, and contains no hazardous metals, fillers, or VOCs. All materials used to manufacture this topper are ethically harvested and completely natural.
This is the best latex mattress topper for back pain and is perfect for people who sleep on their stomachs or backs? It’s also an ideal topper for couples who want a balanced firmness while sleeping.
- The Nestled Organic 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper comes with a complimentary 100% cotton cover that’s easy to wash and customized to fit the topper perfectly.
- Regrettably, this mattress topper only comes in Queen size, which will disappoint couples who have larger beds. Also, it will only appeal to those who don’t like soft mattress toppers as it only has one density variation.
- Available sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King
- Density: medium
- Material: natural latex, cotton cover
- Height: 3 inches
- Warranty: 30-days return policy
More features: removable cover, ventilated design, durable, long-lasting, breathable
Available in 5 different mattress sizes, the NESAILA Latex Mattress Topper is designed to encourage airflow and comes in a medium-density firmness. It’s one of those toppers that contours really well to your body and will prevent that sinking feeling while you sleep. It’s slightly thicker than some other toppers at 3 inches, and every part of it is manufactured from 100% organic latex and cotton. This topper also promises to transform your current mattress regardless of its support type, which means you will feel like you have a brand-new bed. When you buy this topper, you will also receive a pure organic cotton cover, which is also designed to be as breathable as the topper itself.
This is one of the best mattress toppers for couples. It reduces movement transmission while still retaining the buoyancy of your original mattress. It’s also a good topper for teenagers and has been shown to prevent bone deformation in maturing adolescents. Finally, this mattress is great for office workers as it helps to prevent and relieve back issues caused by sitting for long periods of time.
- This natural latex mattress topper is 3 inches thick, which makes for a more transformative sleeping experience. Buying this topper is a good way to turn an old bed into a new, natural one.
- There are no softer varieties. A medium-density may not appeal to every consumer, so a soft option of the NESAILA Latex Mattress Topper would go a long way to widen its market.
- Available sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Full XL, Queen, King, Cal King
- Density: soft
- Material: premium latex
- Height: 2 inches
- Warranty: 3 years
More features: supportive, responsive, ventilated design
The LUCID Dunlop Latex Mattress Topper promises to benefit you in three ways. First, it will offer additional support to your existing mattress. Second, it will intuitively respond to your body through contouring. Finally, this topper will also provide your sleeping surface with ventilation to prevent allergies and excess heat while you sleep. With a 3-year warranty, this topper comes in 6 different sizes, all of which present themselves in a soft design that supports you throughout the night.
This is the best latex memory foam mattress topper for those who prefer a soft surface to sleep on. It’s also ideal for people with allergies or for those who struggle with heat discomfort while they sleep.
- The superior ventilation on this latex mattress topper was a big plus. We also liked the 3-year warranty on this topper which assures us that it's a high-quality product.
- This is not an organic product. A slight foam smell is present for the first two days, but this smell dissipates after a while.
- Available sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, Cal King
- Density: soft
- Material: gel-infused latex foam gel latex
- Height: 3 inches
- Warranty: not specified
More features: premium quilted cover, pull-on design, USA-based brand, comes with a machine-washable cover
Manufactured in North Carolina in the USA, the ViscoSoft Pillow Top Latex Mattress Topper is a unique gel-infused topper that’s intended to provide you with deeper sleep. It’s designed to combine gel latex and a plush-down-alternative layer for that cloud-like feel. It comes with a complimentary 100% cotton cover sheet and even has an elastic skirt, making it easier for you to attach the topper to your existing mattress.
The ViscoSoft Pillow Top Latex Mattress Topper is ideal for those who get hot during the night. The material is specially designed to cool you down while you sleep, simultaneously offering a supported sleep for those who experience back pain.
- This mattress topper is excellently manufactured without ozone depleters, fire retardants, mercury, lead, or any other hazardous heavy metals. We also appreciated the elastic skirt for a much more convenient topper-to-mattress application.
- Although every precaution has been taken to make it safe, the materials used to make this topper are not 100% organic, which is likely due to the gel that's used. Also, there's no specified warranty on this topper which may concern some consumers.
Benefits of Latex Mattress Toppers
Whether you sleep hot during the night or lack the support you need because of joint issues, a latex mattress topper is a great way to transform your current mattress into a more comfortable sleeping surface. Here are some good reasons to choose a latex mattress topper:
- It Transforms Your Existing Mattress: Latex mattress toppers come in between 2-to-3-inch thicknesses. This is enough to change the entire surface of your current mattress despite wear & tear, sagging, or the material of that mattress.
- It Protects Your Current Mattress: A protective layer over your current mattress will also help it to last longer because the topper is tending to the bulk of your support.
- It Cools Down Your Mattress: Most latex mattress toppers are designed to ventilate air and prevent dust. The best latex mattress topper for hot sleepers will always provide a cool sleeping experience due to superior airflow compared to conventional mattresses.
- It Conforms to Your Body Shape: Latex memory foam learns your shape & weight and adapts to your unique body to support you however you choose to sleep.
Aspects that Should Influence Your Latex Mattress Topper Purchase
In order to get the best night’s sleep possible, ask yourself what you want to improve about your sleeping experience. The answer to this question will give you better insight into what latex mattress topper you should buy.
There are also technical aspects to consider, as some mattress toppers won’t accommodate your current mattress.
Your new latex mattress topper is designed to fit over your bed, so we’ve tried to make sure you choose the right size. No matter what benefits you’ve chosen in your topper selection, the results may not be as effective if your topper isn’t snuggly attached to your existing mattress.
Before purchasing your topper, check the following sizes and make sure your choice comes in that size (as many may not). Here are the standard bed mattress sizes:
- Twin XL
- California King
Fortunately, we’ve selected 7 of the best latex mattress toppers in the list above, and these will provide you with all of these size options.
Latex is a planet-friendly substance that can be Trusted Source www.bbc.com . Most latex mattress toppers are made from latex and cotton, but these are not always organic.
Many commercial latex mattresses also contain fillers that can be harmful in the long term, but the list we’ve provided for you above has been chosen with your health & wellbeing in mind.
- Latex Memory Foam: Because of its responsive properties, latex is used to manufacture memory foam beds, mattresses, and mattress toppers. But some companies will add other materials to these products to increase their viscosity. The best choice you can make is to choose a manufacturer that harvests rubber ethically and doesn’t add any unknown substances to your topper.
- GOTS certified organic wool: Wool is another main ingredient in the mattress toppers we’ve listed. Some harvest their wool from organic sources, while others will go the cheaper route. When you see a GOTS Certification, that means the wool has been organically grown & harvested.
- Open-cell memory foam: Memory foam can be (and often is) produced without latex. But manufacturing the best latex memory foam mattress topper means that latex pockets provide a superior contouring effect for the sleeper, which is why we’ve chosen this list of latex mattress toppers above.
- Energex foam: You’ll notice that some of our selections also include gel infusion. This gel serves two purposes:
- it cools you down while you sleep;
- and it increases your topper’s ability to contour around your body.
The density of your mattress topper will usually present itself in soft, medium-dense, or firm. Not all of the options we’ve listed above give you these options, but as you have seen, the EcoTerra 100% Natural Latex Topper was one that did.
The softer varieties are for those who want a comfortable, pillowy surface for their current mattress. Medium dense has a balance between soft and supportive. The firm is for those who like sleeping on a highly supportive surface that supports their joints and muscles to the maximum.
Some of the options, such as the NESAILA Latex Mattress Topper, only come in one density (medium-density), which will appeal to a wide market due to its balanced density property.
Always bear in mind that latex mattress toppers need to be cleaned and maintained regularly. Buying an easy-to-maintain topper like the Nestled Organic 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper is a prudent choice for those who want one that’s easy to wash. Others, like the Amore Beds Natural Organic Latex Topper, need only to be spot-cleaned. You may also choose to select a mattress topper that comes with a complimentary sheet cover to provide additional hygiene and protection.
The Trusted SourceEffects of Mattress Material on Body Pressure Profiles in Different Sleeping Postures www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov can end up being a big difference in your enjoyment of the product. These are some of the finer details to look out for when buying a latex mattress topper:
- Sleeping Positions: If you sleep on your side, you will likely want to choose the best latex mattress topper for side sleepers. But if you’re someone who sleeps on your back or stomach, you will probably opt for a product like the Nestled Organic 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper, as we’ve listed above.
- Breathability & Airflow: Some of our selections have focused on making their mattress toppers breathable, which makes them both hypoallergenic as well as mold/moisture resistant. If you have allergies or sweat a lot while you sleep, choose a product like the Amore Beds Natural Organic Latex Topper.
- Temperature Regulating: Some people get excessively hot while they sleep. A good way to prevent this is by choosing a topper that’s infused with gel, like the ViscoSoft Pillow Top Latex Mattress Topper.
- Support and Density: Consider how much support you need in terms of your joints, your back, and your neck & spine. The medium-firm EcoTerra 100% Natural Latex Topper is the best latex mattress topper for back pain, in our opinion.
- Warrantee: Note that there’s a difference between a warranty and a return policy. A warranty speaks to the quality of the product and covers factory faults and general lifespan. A return policy is in place so that people who find that the mattress topper doesn’t cater to their needs can return it within a shorter period of time from purchase. Various warranties and return policies apply to the list we’ve given you.
How to clean a latex mattress topper?
Is latex topper hot to sleep on?
Are latex mattress toppers safe for people with allergies?
The EcoTerra 100% Natural Latex Topper is definitely our favorite. Not only is it 100% natural and eco-friendly, but it also comes in three different densities, which makes buying one a convenient choice. As far as usability and comfort, we had to choose it over the rest.
Our second choice is the Amore Beds Natural Organic Latex Topper, which we loved for its firmness and support. We also loved that it is manufactured using GOTS Certified organic wool, which is great for the environment and for you!
Third, but not least, is the Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper for its soft but supportive features. This mattress topper comes in three different thicknesses, six different sizes, and Oeko-Tex Standard 100, Greenguard Gold, and ecoInstitut Certified.